Pages

Followers

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Permafrost

Photograph by Richard Schear


This is not the life I wanted,
Frozen in an arctic embrace,
A terminal chill seeping
Beyond my bones,
Freezing me from the inside out.
For years I’ve bundled myself
In cynicism and pain
But found no respite
From the cold,
Only an insulating barrier
Banishing any warmth life may offer.
I could never see the way
To melt my frosty heart
Is not to merely stand near the fire,
But to dance in the flames and
Surrender to the inferno.

10 comments:

Fireblossom said...

This one winds up almost lazily, lulling one, and then *SNAP!*, that ending. Oh yeah.

Isadora Gruye said...

I like the concept you have chosen and the title of Permafrost. These be the chilly times for a lot of us, and we forget how bone splintering the cold can be. Given the mild winter here on the North Plains, I thank you for the reminder. Viva la

Cad said...

Frost and fire - tingling combination. Thanks :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

It all comes together so well: photo, title and painful emotions. Tight and telling.

Sasha A. Palmer said...

Beautiful, Mary!

Kay L. Davies said...

There is so much wisdom in these lines:
"For years I’ve bundled myself
In cynicism and pain
But found no respite
From the cold,
Only an insulating barrier
Banishing any warmth life may offer."

Brian Miller said...

def i think many that would find themselves in similar place...learning to dance again though, even in the flames....it is a beautiful thing to see...

great to see you at dverse today....

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

powerful.

Sheila said...

yes, surrender seems to be the answer.

Margaret said...

This certainly picks up speed in the end! (I love the word inferno)