Pages

Followers

Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Missive from the Lair

E_E_V_U_L_Lair by AEigner @ deviantART


Unappreciated for so long,
I was treated as nothing more
Than background scenery
For your paranoid suspicions.
In your world I had no meaning,
But this is not your world anymore.
The balance of power has shifted
And a new world order is at hand.

You are the one who created
A monster from a martyr.  
Your treachery pushed my fragile heart
Past despair into bloodthirsty vengeance.
Are you delusional enough
To believe anyone would face mortal danger
To rescue the likes of you?
Treason comes at a price,
And your demise will be
Solitary, agonizing, torturous,
And greatly enjoyed by me.

So many armaments at my disposal,
So many ways in which I can destroy you…
Releasing my horde of minions
To eviscerate your flesh?
A laser death cannon
Aimed at the vital organ you prize most?  
No, I think the most effective weapon
In my vast arsenal is my poison pen,
Poetic retribution for your actions,
Your sins laid bare for all to see.
An opportunity for you to experience life
Lost in the dark, twisting shadows
Of my write wing conspiracy.


~~~~~~~~ This poem was inspired by a prompt from Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, in which we were asked to pick out our favorite break-up song, take a line from that song, and use it to write a reinvented anthem for ourselves.  The song I picked was "Missin' You" by John Waite.  You can check out the video below.


6 comments:

Marian said...

i love the anger and the straight-forwardness of these assertions. excellent!
and oh, i have not thought of that song in a long time, thanks for that! loved it in high school. LOVED. IT. i even saw him once :)

Helen said...

Brilliant! You pulled no punches, though it certainly must have felt like it for the recipient of your wrath! Also, a great piece of music!

Mary said...

Strong words here, Mary. You said it like it is. More women should!

Isadora Gruye said...

this is more than anthemic, it's a mission statement. I love the direction you took this challenge, introducing the villianry element was deliciously fun. Thanks for posting Mary and viva la

Kerry O'Connor said...

The last line really contextualizes your poem firmly under the heading of your blog. You offer ample proof that the pen is mightier than the sword.

Mystic_Mom said...

This is amazing...powerful and strong...straight shots. Super song too, been too long since I listened to it!