Pages

Followers

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Reunion

Dark Reflection by larafairie @ deviantART


I saw an old friend,
One long absent and feared lost
To time’s meandering path,

Location unknown,
An artifact from my past
Brought into the light once more,

A damaged woman
Whose healing and redemption
Was never a guarantee.

The fate of rash hearts
Is often desolation,
Eternal exile and grief,

But she has survived,
A renewal of the life
She was always meant to live.

Welcome back, old friend.
It’s nice to see you again
In my mirror’s reflection.



~~~  This poem was inspired by a prompt from Poetic Asides asking for a poem about meeting someone, also written for a prompt from dVerse Poets Pub asking for us to use the triversen form.

11 comments:

Beachanny said...

This is great! The ending took me completely by surprise! You use the form very well - letting the narrative flow, with assimilation and a natural speaking rhythm making the ending so much different from the one you set up. I like it very much indeed. Thank you so much for writing and linking today.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

WOW! The ending took my breath away. This is the journey so many of us make, away from and back to ourselves. This poem really resonates with me. I love it.

brenda w said...

Like the others, I wassurprised at the ending. Well done!

Brian Miller said...

nice...great unveil at the end that it was you...and always great to find a bit of that old self in the mirror, esp when you are one of the ones written off...and have now survived...smiles.

Marbles in My Pocket said...

Awesome write, and I love the picture!

Laurie Kolp said...

I love this, Mary. It could have been me, too.

Anonymous said...

well done. To find and forgive ourselves...a difficult task at times

Susan said...

I was surprised too. Not your typical redemption poem. The speaker is shy at first, observing the history/details before affirming, yes, she made it. I see her smile at herself then and welcome the re-union when she herself has changed. There was always a strength to be proud of, always an essence worth saving.

Anonymous said...

Oh fabulous...what an ending!! But it's so true how we lose ourselves sometimes...you really put a unique spin on the topic. Brilliant!

Scarlet said...

Beautiful message ~ I like the renewal and will to start again ~

http://a-sweetlust.blogspot.ca/2012/06/to-young-lady.html

Chazinator said...

This has really a sense of redemption and the sound of return. It's a mazing how we can find ourselves, often when least expected. The building of who we are from ruins is a lasting and noble task. Excellent message and wonderful execution in the form.