Pages

Followers

Monday, November 26, 2012

Life of Pi

Image from Wikimedia Commons


Life is a circle, 
The wheel of fortune
Spinning on and on,
Moving me 
A little further
Down my path.
I've spent years
Trying to measure
The distance across it,
Trying to see
Just how wide
I open I need to be
To wrap myself around it,
Finally realizing
The key to this cipher
Is to know my own value…
3.1415926535


~~~ This poem was written for a prompt from Poetry Jam that asked us to take the title of a book on one of the New York Times best sellers lists and write a poem for it.  The book I chose was “The Life of Pi” by Yann Martel, which is #3 on the Paperback Trade Fiction list this week. This was also for the Poetic Asides Poem a Day Chapbook Challenge day 19 prompt of writing a wheel poem.

6 comments:

Mary said...

So very true, I think, that life is a circle rather than a straight line. I enjoyed your thoughts!

Brian Miller said...

do you realize in kentucky pi is just 3....too funny....sorry random thought there...i agree...i think often life spings in endless circles yet ever forward....kinda like a spiral....

my heart's love songs said...

life is a circle on so many levels, isn't it? sometimes it feels like a hamster's wheel going nowhere no matter how fast we run. {smile}

this is a wonderful poem, Mary!

Unknown said...

I'm smiling thinking how you related the book title to your last line!

Helen said...

This is certainly one of the most unique, insightful responses to our challenge ... great job!!!

Margaret said...

Very clever!! I think I spin far more than walk a straight line. :)