Pages

Followers

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Life as a Tree

Among the Tree by Jan Prikryl

Sinking roots into sacred ground,
My branches reaching toward the sky,
My duty I cannot defy.
I keep my watch without a sound.

The busy world goes rushing by
And never sees my leafy green.
Oblivious to nature’s scene,
They never stop to ponder why.

Through nature’s furies, I've survived,
The crashing lightning, raging fires,
But still, no matter what transpires
I’ll reemerge, refreshed, revived,

For nature always finds a way
To thrive against all likelihood.
I’ll make my stand in gnarled wood
And live to see a brighter day.


~~~ This poem was written for a prompt from Imaginary Garden with Real Toads asking us to write about the temperate forest.


6 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this poem, and the hopefulness. Even on the most devastated hillsides, things start growing back. Thank heavens!!!!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a solid poem with a structure that reminds me of the sturdy trees you describe.

Helen said...

Tribute to trees! How wonderful .. I still remember earning my "Tree" badge in Girl Scouts!!

Mary said...

Beautiful thoughts, Mary. Somehow nature always does find a way to thrive.

Hannah said...

On the flow of this I must agree with Kerry and of your rhymes, Mary...they're so smooth...awesome embodiment of the trees!! Thanks for transforming for the Friday prompt! :)

my heart's love songs said...

love this, Mary!