Pages

Followers

Friday, July 6, 2012

Splattered

The floor of Jackson Pollock's art studio

fetal on the floor, 
the lies you sold me 
spattered across 
my injured shell 
in shades of 
muddy grey ambiguity
and betrayal blue, 
your brushes and sticks 
pushing deceit 
into every crevice 
until my heart overflows 
across the hardwood 
in a post-modern tribute 
to a lost lover.



~~~~ This poem was written in response to a prompt from Poets United asking us to take inspiration from the artwork of Jackson Pollock.  This is also in response to a prompt from Imaginary Garden with Real Toads asking us the consider the band the Jayhawks and their song “Blue.”  I've included the music video here as well.


8 comments:

Hannah said...

fetal on the floor,
the lies you sold me
spattered across
my injured shell

SO powerful!! I can feel the overwhelming ache in this...Excellent, Mary!

Ella said...

You captured both prompts so well~
I, too love the lines:
"fetal on the floor,
the lies you sold me
spattered across
my injured shell"

Wow! Stunning and so emotional!
Great job!

Mary said...

"in a post modern tribute
to a lost lover" -- Whew! What a strong and fitting ending for this poem. It is like a crescendo at the end of a piece of music! Well done to both prompts.

Maude Lynn said...

That first line is incredible! Great write.

Peggy said...

Good response to the Pollack art!

Marian said...

how did i miss this, betrayal blue? i never thought of blue that way. hmmmm.

Brian Miller said...

a post modern tribute to a lost lover....nice closure on this mary....thanks for popping in tonight and nice prompt...

Anonymous said...

Fetal! Yeah! You've really pegged this pircture right. :)